South Indian Lemon Rice Recipe
Mahesh Mohan | On 18, Jul 2019
Lemon rice is one of the most common dishes in South India. It’s usually eaten alone or with raita, yogurt, chutney, or Kosambari (a type of salad).You can easily throw together if you are in a hurry, as it can be made with leftover rice. Add some poppadums on the side for a simple yet tasty meal.
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- (or canola or sunflower cooking oil)
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 3 to 4 curry leaves
- 2 green chilies (slit lengthwise)
- 1-inch piece ginger (grated)
- 1/2 cup cashews (roasted and unsalted)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 2 cups cooked basmati rice (or leftover rice)
Steps to Make It
- Gather the ingredients.
- Gently roast and then coarsely grind the coriander seeds into powder. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds, curry leaves, and green chilies. Fry the mixture until the spluttering stops.
- Add the ginger and cashews. Fry the mixture for another minute.
- Add the turmeric powder and turn off the burner.
- Add the lemon juice and mix well.
- Add the rice, roasted coriander powder and salt to taste and mix thoroughly.
Tip: If you don’t have a mortar and pestle to grind the coriander, a spice grinder or clean coffee grinder works wonderfully.