LAMB KEEMA – JUST THE DISH FOR LAMB LOVERS –
This delicious and quick to prepare Lamb Keema is made up of lamb mince cooked with peas, onion, aromatic spices, garlic tomatoes and fresh chillies.
500 gm lean lamb mince
1 small cup peas
2 finely chopped onions
3-4 tbsp vegetable oil
2 bay leaves
3-4 green cardamom
1 tbsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp finely chopped ginger
1 tbsp finely chopped garlic
1 tbsp garam masala
1 tbsp chopped mint leaves
3 tsp salt
1 cup tomato puree
¼ cup peas
1 tbsp coriander seeds
2-5 finger chillis chopped
6 whole cloves
- Roast coriander and cumin seeds until fragrant using a dry frying pan. Grind in a pestle to make “dhana-jeera” a standard feature in many Indian dishes.
- Use a large pan to melt butter mixed with oil. Add onion, cassia (or cinnamon), cloves and peppercorns. Stir occasionally as you cook over a medium fire until the onion is well browned.
- Get rid of the cassia/cinnamon and add one tablespoon of Dhana-jeera, turmeric, and garam masala and fry as you stir for about half a minute.
- Add the tomato puree is breaking it up with a spatula. Mince the peeled ginger and garlic and add together with chillies in the pan.
- Cook this mixture for about 10 minutes using medium heat, ensuring that the oil separates from the mixture around the edges.
- Add minced lamb, break up with a spatula as you mix it into the pan. Cover the pan and cook over low heat, letting the mixture simmer for 35 to 45 minutes.
- Add the peas 10 minutes before you’re done the cooking and check the seasoning, adding more salt if necessary.
- Allow the dish to cool then reheat before you serve to allow the flavours to infuse.
- Serve meal with chapatis and rice.